Saturday, June 11, 2016

#Fontana2SD Recap: Part 2 Fontana Half Marathon

So now it is time for me to tell you about a good day turned bad at the Fontana Half Marathon!   Will you scream in horror when I tell you Jenn and I left my house at 3:15 a.m. in order to get to the Fontana Half Marathon on time?  We picked Sarah up at 4:05 a.m. and then headed to the start line a little after 5:00 a.m.

This picture makes me so happy!  Left to right: Casey, Laurie, Andrea, Michael, Dave, Brian, Carlee, Katie, Me, Jenn, Sarah & Linzie.  Epic!

A little selfie action: Carlee, Dave, Andrea, Katie, Linzie, Me

Linzie is my favorite California bear!

And of course, the set ups for the perfect Pro pictures!

It was so much fun to RunMatchy with my We Run Social crew!  Then we all climbed into a school bus and headed 13.1 miles to the start line.

We added some crew members including Richard aka BlingWhore!

I saw Christine form another Moms Run This Town chapter.

And the beautiful and speedy Melissa.

And just like that, without any fan fare, no National Anthem, we were off!  The Fonata course is a potential PR course for sure and one of our crew - Carlee - PR'd that thing.  But it was just too hot for me that day.  It was 96 degrees at the finish and I decided to have fun and meet new people!

Yes, I realize I am headed the wrong direction!  But I wanted to show you the gradual downhill we enjoyed the entire course!

At some point, people started feeling the heat, including K, a 17 year old kid running his first Half.

I was like his course mom.  Fed him water and salt pills as needed.  Thanks goodness for the real Moms Run This Town and their awesome otter pops!

At some point, I caught up to my crew!

And the awesome Casey caught pictures of us coming into the finish!

And I had to take a picture of K crossing the finish line for his mom!

After a quick selfie with our medals, we set off!

When we dropped Sarah off, the weather was 100 degrees.  Yes, I ran in a HOT Half marathon.  Never again!

And then, this happened.

Yup, before we could get off the freeway and figure out what to do, we were trapped on a closed freeway between two exits for almost 4 hours.  We couldn't use the shoulder because Cal Fire was using it to put tricks into the fire area.  At about 4:00 p.m. we were able to exit and use the restroom, charge our phones and eat something.  Not fun!  By the time we finally got back on the road and home, it was 7:00 p.m.  Keep in mind we left Fontana at 10:30.

I had many doubts about whether I would run the Rock n Roll Half and complete the #Fontana2SD challenge.  But I set my outfit out just in case...

Stay tuned for Part 3 tomorrow!  Have you ever done back to back races?  Have you ever been stuck in traffic for 7 hours???

As always, I wish you Happy Feet,
SD Mom


  1. So happy you were able to help out K! Thank God you were out there and able to help him!

  2. So back when I was living in Mission Viejo and working in Mission Valley there was a big rig accident on the 5 at Camp Pendleton. I was hungry, thirsty, and at some point I had to pee, but was stuck because they couldn't reroute us. It took me 5 hours to get home that night

  3. That race sounds good...but holy traffic! I thought ATL traffic was bad, but Cali is giving it a run for it's money! I can't believe how hot it got too. I hate early start times, but I'd rather than then be on like mile 3 in 100 degree temps